Quick summary of steps to setup your own Video Art Wall
These instructions expect you to setup the Raspberry Pi with a full screen, keyboard and mouse. Once the software is setup, only the mouse is needed and the screen can be changed to a larger or wall mounted screen.
The setup and final installation uses a HTMI video screen, a computer monitor or low priced TV screen can be used.
- Buy a Raspberry Pi kit and set it up running Raspbian, we like a complete kit sold by Canakit, since it has power supply, box, ram, and all cables.
- Setup an image display account at http://my.welovemuseums.com/members
- Get the account code from http://my.welovemuseums.com/home/links
- Update the raspberry PI OS and install the needed modules:
apt-get install python-tk
apt-get install python-pil
apt-get install python-pil.imagetk
apt-get install sqlite3
- Get the DEB file and install it on the Rasp PI:
- Install DEB file using dpkg -i wlm-home-raspi-0.0.deb
- Edit /home/pi/wlm-home/wlm.cfg and replace ‘demo’ with your account number
Once done your system is setup:
- First, get the latest images selected on your wlm account (we are working on automating the update process).
Using this approach allows the Art wall to operate without any network connection once initialized. The connection is only needed when new images are selected.
- Click the Wlm@home icon to start the image display. The first image can take 15-20 secs to display and often is not sized right first time around. The images will cycle once all are shown